Saturday, January 14, 2012

Homeschooling... the beginning

chalkboard

Since a became a Mum homeschooling has appealed to me more and more, although at first hubby wasn't keen as the few real life examples he's had prior to having kids were enough to put anyone off.

As our oldest George has gotten closer and closer to 5 which is the age that most children start school in New Zealand, hubby and I have talked more and more about it and we've decided that we will give homeschooling a go at least until George is 6 which is when he has to legally either be enrolled in a school or have an exemption from the Ministry of Education so I can  legally home school.

Even though George is still only 4 years old I decided that I would start schooling at home from the beginning of this year.

This is what has been keeping me busy for the last couple of weeks.  I've been looking at different curriculum ideas and get planning.  At  George's age I want things to be mainly play based but I want him to start learning to write letters.

After looking around I decided to purchase the Letter of the week curriculum from Confessions of a Homeschooler.  I've used some of her printable in the pass and  George loves them, I hope to do a letter a week but depending on how long it takes us to do all the activities we might do two a week instead.

I also brought  a Homeschool-Planner from Homeschool creations which will hopefully keep me on track, I also love to make lists so I now have the one place for all my home schooling notes.


No comments:

Post a Comment