Friday, February 17, 2012

Plum Crumble Slice

There is a lovely lady at church who has many many many fruit trees.  Enough to provide fruit all year round for her family and grandkids and nieces and nephews and friends and anyone else who needs some and she see me as some one that needs some.  Last year she provided me with apples which I made into applesauce and bottled up, also grapefruit which I made jam and marmalade with and plums which i made plum jam with.

This week she gave me a bucket fill off dark plums.  The only catch... they're too sour for eating fresh.  No problem there are so many things you can do with sour plums.

The next afternoon Grace has decided she wasn't keen on a afternoon nap so i set her up at the sink and she helped me scrub each plum (getting more water on the floor than what was in the skin but she did have a lot of fun) I then halved and removed the stones and stewed the plums for a couple of hours.


DSC_0420.JPG
I did add a couple of cups of sugar as I was planning on bottling these plums but I'm not keen on too much sugar added to what my children eat, also I'm not sure what the end use of all these plums will be.
After all the plums where cooked there was a LOT of liquid in the pot which and I didn't have time to watch the pot while it reduced down.  When this happens I pull out my trustly slow cooker.  I moved the plums from the pot on the stove into the slow cooker, set it to high and placed a wooden spoon just under the lid leaving the lid ajar so the liquid can evaporate off. 
After leaving the slow cooker going all night I managed to find time to bottle up the plums while the kids were distracted with their breakfast.  I managed to fill 3 large jars. 

DSC_0429.JPG
I still had just over a cup of stewed plums left over and our banana bread from earlier in the week was finished so I knew I had to make something suitable for George's Kindy lunch box.  A quick search online and I found a recipe for Plum Crumble Slice.  I did not have all the ingredients for this so I altered it somewhat.




DSC_0453.JPG








Plum Crumble Slice




Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes

Ingredients

125g soften butter
1/2 C white sugar
2 eggs
2 C flour
2 t baking powder
250g cream cheese
2 C stewed plums 

Crumble topping
3/4 C Flour
1/2 C brown sugar
1/2 t cinnamon
50g butter

Cream butter and sugar.  Add eggs one at a time then add cream cheese and mix well.
Sift flour and baking powder and fold into the creamed mixture. 

Spread mixture in a greased 18 x 28 cm tin and then spread the stewed plums over the top. 

In a clean bowl mix flour, brown sugar and cinnamon.  Rub in butter into it resembles bread crumbs.  Sprinkle over top of plums. 

Bake in a preheated oven on 180 degrees celsius for 45 minutes or until cooked.  

No comments:

Post a Comment