Sunday, February 12, 2012

Eating the Alphabet - Banana bread

Eating Alphabet JPG

This year I've joined a group of bloggers for link up on eating the alphabet, and this month is letter A and or B.

Every week when I go grocery shopping I check out the reduced to clear bins and usually end up finding the weeks food for my bunnies, and maybe a treat or two from the bakery section.  This week there was a whole lot of over ripe bananas bagged up at only 99 cents.  As soon as I saw them I knew I had to make Banana bread.

Bananas

I needed to challenge myself and instead of pulling out the trusty Edmonds cookbook I went to the computer and started searching for different recipes.  Here is the recipe I found and used as the bases of my recipe.  The comment section was great and gave me all the information I needed to make changes and know that I was still going to get something yummy at the end. 

George currently has a thing for blueberries, thankfully it's currently blueberry season in New Zealand.  There was even a fruit stand just a couple of doors down from our place this weekend selling freshly picked blueberries and I just couldn't say no.  This meant the banana bread quickly changed to banana and blueberry bread. 
Blue berries


Banana and Blueberry Bread Recipe

Prep time: 5 minutes

Cook time: 1 hour

Ingredients


4 ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 C blue berries
1/2 C plain yoghurt
1/2 C brown sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 vanilla bean
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
zest of 1 lemon

Method

Preheat oven to 175°C ( 350°F)

In a bowl mix yoghurt, mashed banana, egg, sugar and lemon zest.

Split the vanilla bean length wise and scrap out seeds and add to the mixture.

Sprinkle baking soda over the mixture and mix in, then add flour and mix together into a batter.

Lastly fold in the blueberries.

Pour batter into a greased loaf tin and bake for 45 mins - 1 hour.


DSC_0349.JPG

1 comment:

  1. this sounds great, and you know I never thought to check the discount section for fruit, I always buy bananas and forget to use them , the forget to freeze them. I also love the idea of this bread so have to try it for sure.

    ReplyDelete