Thursday, March 1, 2012

C is for Caterpillar

letter of the week

When I started the Confessions of a homeschooler - Letter of the Week I knew I would keep it play based and child led. So when George wanted to do other things and life got busy it was the first thing to go so letter C took us just under a month to complete.  Here are some photos of what we did get up to. 


We started off letter C with a the book "The very hungry caterpillar" and some playdough play, I couldn't help putting together a caterpillar for George to find when he got home from kindy.  Grace wanted one as well so I had to make another one quickly for her but I didn't get a photo of it. 

DSC_0036.JPG


Upper and lower case puzzle

DSC_0040.JPG


Do a dot C page - you'll never guess George's favourite colour??

DSC_0039.JPG

Size sorting - small, medium, and large

DSC_0042.JPG

Playdough letter making

DSC_0037.JPG


Cutting practice 

DSC_0043.JPG

Poke page

DSC_0076.JPG


Patterning

DSC_0075.JPG

Floor mats, as usual I call out the number and George finds and jumps on it.  Grace also loves to join in and jumps on a number as well.  I also get George to put the mats in order, this time I got him to do it from 10 down to number 1.

DSC_0082.JPG

George sorted and placed the caterpillar pieces in order from 1 to 20.

DSC_0080.JPG

I placed the caterpillars on the leaf, and George had to count them and then find the correct number.

DSC_0077.JPG

We made a egg carton caterpillar - separate post to come later

DSC_0205.JPG

I put all the milk bottle top letters needed to complete this activity and no more, George then pulled out a letter and decide if it was upper or lower case then place it on the correct mat. 

DSC_0212.JPG

Lacing

DSC_0215.JPG

Jellybean graphing.  George had to count the caterpillars and then place the same amount of jellybeans across the graph underneath.  If he got it correct he was allowed to eat the jellybeans.  It did take in a couple of attempts on the larger numbers before he could eat his treat. 

DSC_0217.JPG

Cutting a gluing.  George only cut out one circle before asking me to finish them for him.  He's not really into cutting but I try to get him to so some each week as he is improving. 

DSC_0627

A long time ago I brought a book with pages to write the different letters of the alphabet.  I cut off the spine of the book and place the pages in a clear file folder.  When George writes with a wipe board pen on the plastic it can then be wiped off and the page used again.  I dug out this book this week and George loved it.

DSC_0635

There were many many other caterpillar themed activities we completed during the last month as well as many other fun which I want to post about.  I need to get back into the habit of writing in the evenings before bed.  We've already started letter D so hope to be posting about that next week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment